Department of Personnel Services
Department of Personnel Services Mission Statement
It is the mission of the human resources/office department to provide effective human resource management and fiscal support by developing and implementing policies, programs and services that contribute to the attainment of Village and employee goals by:
- Properly balancing the needs of the employees and the needs of the Village.
- Ensuring a diverse workforce in a safe and discrimination/harassment free environment by: maintaining compliance with employment laws and government regulations, providing management and employee training, and developing policies and procedures.
- Providing training and development in areas of: effective leadership and career development of employees, employment law and government regulation, and litigation avoidance.
- Hiring the most qualified employees by: pre-planning staffing needs, ensuring an effective internal interview process, increasing Village visibility, identifying the best and most cost effective recruitment sources, and conducting thorough background and reference checks.
- Retaining our valued employees by: assuring effective leadership qualities in our managers; providing competitive wages and benefits; furnishing technical, interpersonal and career development training and coaching; conducting exit interviews and supplying relevant feedback to the Village manager; and enhancing two-way communication between employees and management.
Personnel Services Accomplishments, November 2015 – Present
- Performed audit and aesthetically revamped all employee personnel files.
- Assumed the supervision of Office Department personnel (Fiscal Clerks)
- Established Village of Hazel Crest as an E-Verify employer; I-9 verifications are now completed electronically.
- All I-9 Forms were previously completed incorrectly; currently obtaining new I-9 Form completion from all employees hired before January 1, 2016.
- Reviewed Village of Hazel Crest Employee Handbook and determined it was grossly outdated and needed to be revamped. Worked with Laner Muchin to update entire manual (inclusive of policy changes, updates, and deletions). Board of Trustees scheduled to vote on new manual.
- Currently conducting audit of pay files to ensure all employees are receiving correct pay; discovered a number of Village employees receiving incorrect pay.
- Solicited current payroll application provider for additional HRIS applications to streamline internal processes and ensure HR compliance. Board of Trustees scheduled to vote on new HRIS applications through Paylocity.
- Currently completing creation of ID cards for all staff; cards for Police and Fire personnel 100% complete.
- Currently working w/Laner Muchin on Local 150 contract negotiations (Public Works).
- Currently serving as Claims Coordinator and Alternate Delegate for risk management issues.