Whether you have just built a new home or moved into a used one, the day may come when you desire to add to or improve your property. When this time comes the question always arises, DO I NEED A PERMIT?

And of course, our answer to you is that you should check with Inspectional Services because the Building Code specifically states that “a permit shall be obtained before beginning construction, alteration, or repair” and this covers just about everything, except for replacing something for maintenance reasons or redecorating purposes. However, for your own protection and best interest, it is always a good rule to check with the Inspectional Services Division. Always plan ahead and allow 7 to 10 days to have a permit processed.

ZONING VARIANCES From time to time, a situation may arise when a homeowner needs to request a zoning variance, this may occur if the project, when built according to the Village Zoning Ordinances, will create a hardship upon the homeowner. Variance request should be made in writing and submitted to the Zoning Administrator along with copies of your survey showing proposed work. The Zoning Administrator is located at the Kauchak Municipal Center (3000 West 170th Place) and can be reached by calling (708) 335-9600 ext. 110.

COMPLAINTS Homeowner complaints should be submitted in writing to the Division of Inspectional Services during business hours.

  • A copy of your Plat of Survey
  • Application Forms filled out
  • Pertinent Drawings, Blueprints
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE FOR APPLYING FOR A PERMIT? When applying for a permit at the Department of Inspectional Services, homeowners must present a copy of the plat of survey (normally obtained at your closing), and any pertinent drawings, blueprints, or sketches. On the plat of survey you will be required to locate the proposed improvements and provide necessary dimensions. You will also be required to fill out an application for permit.When the permit is approved, you will receive documentation that must be available or posted at the project site until the work is completed. You will also receive an inspection card for your specific project. Once again, these inspections are made to promote good, safe construction, and are made at intervals during the project.The Department of Inspectional Services is located at the Kauchak Municipal Center (3000 West 170th Place) and is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:3 0p.m. The phone number is (708) 335-9600.
WHY ARE PERMITS REQUIRED? Building and electrical permits are required for most home improvements or additions so that Inspectional Services may inspect the job for safety, zoning compliance, and sound construction, and building code compliance.The whole reason behind having Building Codes and requiring building permits is to help protect the health, safety, and general welfare of the residents of the community. Also, it provides a way of insuring that the minimum standards for construction are adhered to and that if a contractor is being used by the Village of Hazel Crest. In this way, the Village is helping to insure that the work is being done properly and that the best interest of the homeowner is being protected.
WHO IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE HOME IMPROVEMENTS? The homeowner is permitted to make any changes his own property, except for changing the electrical service which must be done by a Village registered electrical contractor. However, if a contractor is used by the owner to perform any work, the contractor must be registered in the Village of Hazel Crest before starting any work. Also, it is the responsibility of the homeowner to be sure hat a building permit is obtained prior to the start of work. FAILURE TO OBTAIN A BUILDING PERMIT COULD RESULT IN A FINE
EXAMPLES OF WORK REQUIRING PERMITS Listed below are the most common types of home improvements that are made and require permits:

  • Additions
  • All work require ring the pouring of concrete
  • Central Air Conditioning
  • Fences, Patios, and Driveways
  • Fireplaces
  • Furnaces
  • Garages and Sheds
  • New Residents
  • Roofs
  • Swimming pools (Permanent Installation)
  • Water Heaters -“You have 7-10 days to get the permit and inspection for a water heater”.  (this is in the event the water heater needs to be replaced right away due to a malfunction).

Before beginning a project not listed above, it is still important to check with Inspectional Services just to make sure if a permit is or is mot required.


MAY 1, 2007

     Base Fee (project under $1,000) $50
     Project from $1,000 to $3,000,000 $10 / $1,000
     Project $3,000,000 plus $5 / $1,000
Alarm Systems (new system) $40
Renewal of existing permit $15
Signs $0.25/ sq. ft.
     Minimum $25
Decks $50
Air Conditioners/Furnaces $50
Demolition $200 for every 5,000 sq. ft.
Driveway $50
Fence $50
Patio $50
Roof $50
Satellite Dish $50
Sheds (storage) $50
Swimming Pool (new, above ground) $50
Commercial Construction $ .30 / sq. ft.
Residential Construction $ .30 / sq. ft
Accessory Building Construction $ .10 / sq. ft.
     Minimum Fee $100
Excavation $50
Foundation $50
Framing $50
Fire Protection $50
Completion (final) $50
Re-inspection $50 each time
Fire Protection System            Up to 20 heads $100
     Per head after 20 $3.00 ea.
Point of Sale/Annual Rental (Maximum 2 Visits) $100
Additional Inspections $35 each visit
Electrical Permits
Basic Fee (minimum) $50
     100 amp service (includes upgrade) $75
     200 amp service (includes upgrade) $125
Plumbing Permits
Single-family residence
     First 5 fixtures, minimum $75
     Each additional fixture $10
Apartment and Condominiums
     Each fixture $10
     Minimum $30
Commercial Construction
     Each fixture $10
     Minimum $10
Remodeling and Repair
     Each fixture $10
     Re-inspection $35
      Annual Fee (not prorated, expires 4/30) $125
      Based on tap size Municipal Code 29-42
Residential Construction $1,000
Commercial Construction
     Project up to $50,000 $1,000
     Project  $50,001 to $200,000 $2,000
     Project $200,001 to $500,000 $2,000
     Project $500,001 to $1,000,000 $3,000
     Project $1,000,001 plus $3/$1,000
Water Meter Charge $178.00
Water System Development $409.00
Sewer System Development $231.00
Sewer Bond $500.00
Water Usage Charge $ 80.00
Storm Sewer Connection $ 75.00